SECTION I: The product
|1a||The innovation potential of this product is related to:
|The innovation potential of this product is related to market-driven innovation and cost reduction.
- Market-driven innovation: nowadays, there is a growing awareness that energy must be produced with significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions. Hydrogen is often referred to as a potential pollution-free energy carrier and Sorption Enhanced steam Reforming (SER) of natural gas is considered to be the most promising technology for H2 production. Therefore, it is a major challenge to develop materials with high CO2 sorption capacity and long life time in SER conditions, resulting in high conversion of natural gas to hydrogen. The proposed product meets this challenge and gets in this market offering innovative technology that panders to the market demand for high efficiency and low cost regarding CO2 removal.
- Product-related to cost reduction: The SER concept combines both reforming reaction and in situ CO2 separation in order to increase the efficiency of the conventional Steam Reforming process. The development of a sorbent material, like CaO-Ca12Al14O33 (85-15 wt%), with constant capture and regeneration ability is the key point for the economical and waste management efficiency of the process.
|1b||What added value for end-users does the product hold?
• higher quality
• Better technical characteristics
• Other …
|The added value of the proposed material can be found in the specific properties and the advantages of using CaO-Ca12Al14O33 (85-15 wt%) in SER process. More specifically, the new material :
- exhibits high CO2 sorption capacity and long life-time in SER process . The active component of the material is CaO, while Ca12Al14O33 provides a stable framework inhibiting sintering and deactivation of CaO. The new material shows a low tortuosity in its pore system resulting in a decreased resistance in CO2 access to the active sites.
- has a wide range of applications, since it presents long life time for high temperature processes
- results in the economic performance of the SER system. The highly exothermic CO2 sorption reaction can in situ supply the endothermic reforming reaction demands without considering the heat transfer barriers. Moreover, CaO is a low cost and abundant material, because it can be derived from a range of naturally occurring precursors. At the same time, with the use of CaO-Ca12Al14O33, the necessity of downstream purification steps decreases due to the low CO2 content (3-4%) at the reformer exit.
|1c||What is the Unique Sales Proposition of the potential product?|
|Various materials have been proposed as CO2 sorbents in SER process. However, they dont present stability and/or high sorption capacity.
Unique Sales Proposition:
“The new material is suitable for an efficient SER process, exhibiting constant high CO2 capture and regeneration ability, resulting in the economical and waste management efficiency of the process”
SECTION 2: The Market
|2a||What is the target market for the product?
Please describe the characteristics of your target market.
|The product is addressed to the global market of petrochemical industry, which employs natural gas as raw material to produce hydrogen, among other products. About 3000 petrochemical plants with 9000 personnel in 4500 locations, are operative. The largest units are located in Japan, China, India, Russia, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, UK, France, Germany, Italy and USA. By 2018, 60 percent of the petrochemical growth is likely to take place in Asia, with China accounting for about one-third of the growth.|
|2b||How the product is characterized from the following options? Number of companies producing similar products in the field.
• Base – applied by all companies in the industry
• Leading – applied by a single or limited number of competitive companies
• Key –at a development stage, but has already proven its potential
|This innovative sorbent material is a key product. It is currently at a development stage, but has already proven its high potential for industrial application. There is no company that produces the same product. However, there are various competing products, destined for SER process. The competition is between about 260 companies, operating worldwide. From comparative analysis of the competing products, it is clear that the proposed material offers higher performance and lower energy cost.|
|2c||What type of market demand will be satisfied?
• Existing demand – the market is already developed
• hidden (latent) demand – the market has yet to be developed
|The product is addressed to an existing market demand, which belongs to the industrial world. In detail, petrochemical plants across the globe are in great need of a new sorbent material for the efficient and economical removal of CO2 via the Steam Reforming process.|
|2d||What is the current stage of the product’s market life cycle?
• Implementation, implementation in production (leading to a radically new product offers)
• Growth (rapid spread within the industry or outside it)
• maturity (parameters of the technical characteristics of manufactured products reached their maximum, higher-grade products can be manufactured on the basis of technological substitution)
|The proposed material is considered to be in the implementation phase of the product’s market life cycle, since it exhibits innovative technology in this field. It is to be noted that global hydrogen production via Steam Reforming of natural gas has been monotonically increasing over the last years and thus the need for an efficient CO2 sorbent material becomes a key environmental issue.|
|2e||Strategic partnerships (existing or potential).|
|Potential partnerships could be mainly established on the basis of targeted communication of the proposed product to the market, and more specifically, with international petrochemical companies.|
SECTION 3: The Competition
|3a||What is the competition within your target market?|
|Studies for the improvement of the structure of the adsorbent materials are offered by a limited number of research teams worldwide. Yet, most of these research teams conduct these studies for scientific purposes within the framework of a research program and not as a commercialized service.
Moreover, there are not companies that produce the same product, but only companies that produce alternative products for CO2 adsorption. These companies are distributed worldwide, and make similar products, such as lithium oxides, calcium oxides, dolomites, limestones, etc. The competition has reached high levels and tends to grow because of the urgent need for the industrial application of an efficient SER system, which will produce high quality ‘green’ fuel (hydrogen) with low energy cost and CO2 emissions.
|3b||What competitive advantages will the introduction of the new product ensue?
• lower prices based on lower production costs
• product differentiation (uniqueness of the product proposal)
|The proposed material provided by the Laboratory of Petrochemical Technology, Department of Chemical Engineering, A.U.Th. has a number of advantages in relation to its competitors. The introduction of the new product will ensue cost leadership due to technological choices made, that involve also a meaningful differentiation of the product.|
|3c||Potential products relate to the following price range:
• High price range
• Average price range
• Low price range
|Low – Average price range. Considering products of the same power band, the material provides higher CO2 sorption capacity and longer life time and will be priced according to the client’s specific needs.|
|3d||Potential products will be marketed:
• To regulated markets (e.g. heat supply, water supply, universal telecommunication services, agricultural products, fishing industry, architectural services)
• To markets operating on the principle of free negotiation between agents on the market
|The product is addressed to markets operating on the principle of free negotiation between agents.|
SECTION 4: Indicators
|Estimated cost of the new products||5000 E/tn|
|Expected market volume (potential / maximum number of users)||3000|
|Expected sales volume||180|
|Expected market share of the company (proportion between sales and total company sales in the relevant market)||6%|