PART B: valorisation plan
SECTION I: The product
|1a||The innovation potential of this product is related to:
|The innovation potential of X-farm is related to its capacity to be an efficient simulation system for agricultural sector, in particular for agro-energy farms.
Farm simulation modeling is assuming an increasing importance to better manage farms and entire agricultural sector.
The product is a computer application with a calculation engine based on a daily step bio-physical simulation model of whole farm. X-farm provides information on farm life cycle, allowing to evaluate alternative productive scenarios.
It can be an useful tool to improve the planning capabilities of the agro-energy farms.
|1b||What added value for end-users does the product hold?
• higher quality
• Better technical characteristics
• Other …
|The added value of X- FARM can be found in the advantages related to the use of a simulator for decisions related to business.
End-users in fact can use it as a business plan software to define exactly farm outputs (with low tolerance) and as a decision support for public decision makers to plan land use.
This results can be extremely important to decide if a business can be interesting, if it is sustainable for the territory or not.
|1c||What is the Unique Sales Proposition of the potential product?|
|This product considers all factors that influences the farm production (wheather, geological, conditions, etc.).
Other competitors are focused at specific topics (as water management) and they don’t so complete.
SECTION 2: The Market
|2a||What is the target market for the product?
Please describe the characteristics of your target market.
|The product is addressed to the global market because the simulation system can be used all over the world, depending only by databases loaded (geographical, weather, geological data, etc.).
|2b||How the product is characterized from the following options? Number of companies producing similar products in the field.
• Base – applied by all companies in the industry
• Leading – applied by a single or limited number of competitive companies
• Key –at a development stage, but has already proven its potential
|In this moment, there aren’t similar products on sale.
There are products which are focused on particular subjects, as irrigation (AQUACROP, distributed by FAO in free version) or the effect of cropping system management on productivity and the environment (CropSyst, free distributed by developed by a team of Washington State University); all these products deal with a single crop or crop rotation but not a whole farm.
From a comparative analysis of competitors, X-FARM offers a better level of performances.
|2c||What type of market demand will be satisfied?
• Existing demand – the market is already developed
• hidden (latent) demand – the market has yet to be developed
|The knowledge level of potential of farm dynamic simulation is still limited.
The market demand is potential, because the market of software systems has to be developed.
|2d||What is the current stage of the product’s market life cycle?
• Implementation, implementation in production (leading to a radically new product offers)
• Growth (rapid spread within the industry or outside it)
• Maturity (parameters of the technical characteristics of manufactured products reached their maximum, higher-grade products can be manufactured on the basis of technological substitution)
|X-farm is in the implementation phase: the software exists and works.
At this step, it needs only the development of a friendly-user interface.
|2e||Strategic partnerships (existing or potential).|
|Potential partnership could be signed with a software house for development of a friendly- user interface, because X-farm uses a strong number of indicators and outputs (graphical data, maps, tables, etc) not easy to use for end-users.
The final version could be simplified in the use by a firm specialized in market approach.
SECTION 3: The Competition
|3a||What is the competition within your target market?|
|The competition is limited because of presence on target market of few similar products.
These products, that in general have lower performances, are free versions (as AQUACROP distributed by FAO) dedicated to water management or other sectors.
|3b||What competitive advantages will the introduction of the new product ensue?
• lower prices based on lower production costs
• product differentiation (uniqueness of the product proposal)
|X-farm will reduce costs of farm management, in reason that the simulations of future scenarios will be supported from quantitative data.
The product has specific characteristics being able to deal with different types of information, based on powerful dynamics simulation technologies and being able to deal with uncertainties for the farm risk evaluation.
|3c||Potential products relate to the following price range:
• High price range
• Average price range
• Low price range
|The product could be developed towards two directions:
- A low cost application (for example, to use with smartphones as Iphone) with a low level of outputs), to use to understand general situation.
- A high cost application for professional users, to use to have high level information, as development scenarios supported by quantitative outputs as graphics, numerical data, maps, etc.
|3d||Potential products will be marketed:
• To regulated markets (e.g. heat supply, water supply, universal telecommunication services, agricultural products, fishing industry, architectural services)
• To markets operating on the principle of free negotiation between agents on the market
|X-farm is addressed to markets operating on the principle of free negotiation.
The product can be used both by public administrators both by private parts: the simulation can help management decisions, on spatial planning, on energy choices. In these different cases (public and private) the product could be marketed differently.
SECTION 4: Indicators
|Estimated cost of the new products||About 1.000,00 €|
|Expected market volume (potential / maximum number of users)||Not evaluated|
|Expected sales volume||Not evaluated|
|Expected market share of the company (proportion between sales and total company sales in the relevant market)||Not evaluated|
KEYWORDS QUANTITATIVE ASSESSMENT (0-5).
|Please put X as appropriate.||1||2||3||4||5|
|Size of future market demand||X|
|Competitive positioning of the product||X|